Monday, July 4, 2011

Tutorial: Natural Looking Makeup


This is my first makeup tutorial, and I decided to stick to looks which I love. I'll be sticking to what I know best. Since I'm no expert in eye makeup application, I will refrain from any looks which require complicated eyeshadow techniques. My tutorials will mostly center around soft, subtle daytime looks, as well as the occasional evening makeup.

I've been inspired my minimal makeup recently and wanted to do a natural makeup look. This look isn't trying to look like I'm not wearing any makeup, but instead it's using makeup to enhance my natural features.


The tutorial takes inspiration from women who tend to favour natural looking makeup, and have glorious complexion like Song Hye Kyo and Jessica Alba.





Please note: I'm not trying to look like them, and this tutorial is not based on their makeup application. I'm just inspired by their natural beauty.

*You'll see pics of me looking very different in various stages of this tutorial. I'm not confidant baring my unmade face to the internet, but decided it's necessary for the tutorial!*


Tutorial:

1. Foundation should blend in perfectly with the skin, having absolutely no difference in shade from your face. Apply foundation only on areas where it is needed. It shouldn't be obvious that you are wearing foundation, so use a light-weight formula and only apply a light layer during the day. A tinted moisturiser would be ideal. For a super natural look, I advise skipping foundation altogether and let your own beautiful skin breathe.

For this tutorial though, I'm wearing an illuminating tinted moisturiser. It evens out my skintone, but I have noticed this shade does dull my skin slightly.


Product Used: Madara Moonflower Tinting Fluid

2. Either forego eyeshadow, or use shades that are light, natural and flatters your skintone. I used a warm neutral brown shade on the upper lash line.


Product Used: Chanel Eyeshadow in Sand

3. Unfortunately, my eyes need eyeliner to make them look more wide awake. Apply a thin line of eyeliner (either brown or black) to the lashline. I used the blending tip end of my pencil liner to gently smudge line for a softer look.



Curl the lashes, and apply a coat of mascara. I tend to miss out the mascara during the day (mostly due to laziness), but when I do wear mascara , Clinique's Naturally Glossy Mascara would be my daytime choice. It's one of the more subtle mascara's out there. It lifts and lengthens the lashes without the clumping and false lash look.



Products Used: Benefit BADgal Eyeliner in Waterproof Black, Clinique Natural Glossy Mascara in Jet Black


4. Choose a shade of blush that doesn't contrast too much from your complexion. For a healthy, glowing, natural look avoid blushes which are too powdery. A cream blusher is highly recommended, or a powder blush which has silky smooth texture.


I'm using a powder blush from Guerlain, and tapped off the excess powder before applying it to the apple of my cheeks (the flashy part when you smile). This blush is halfway between a blush and a bronzer, and gives a very subtle browny-pink colour to the cheeks.

Product Used: Guerlain Blush 4 Eclats in Tendre Aurore


5. Apply a tinted lip balm, or a subtle shade of lipstick. I find Laura Mercier's Sheer Lip Colour in Baby Lips my perfect 'my lips but better' shade.


Product Used: Laura Mercier Sheer Lip Colour in Baby Lips


The finished look:







34 comments:

  1. I love it! keep it coming dear!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look absolutely beautiful. I think makeup should enhance rather than create natural beauty as well, and I think you got the job done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial!! You have such long lashes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blush is so so subtle absolutely gorgeous! Haven't tried anything from Guerlain yet I know they're very expensive so I never really go near their counter haha!

    I have the high impact mascara from Clinique which I adore never heard of the one you used might check it out!

    I love these kind of posts, looking forward to the rest :D

    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love subtle makeup that glows and makes you look like a better version of yourself. I much prefer this to makeup that when you remove it makes go AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH because you look so different. Though that is fun too.

    I love cream blush. LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the finished look is just so natural, I like a simple make up touch like this. thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really truly gorgeous. You have such incredible eyes and lips. I also love a natural look, and you wear this one so well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your skin is so flawless! i feel like i keep telling you that, but i am truly envious

    ReplyDelete
  9. ..you do natural so well! Baby lips is such a great mlbb color on your lips

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful tutorial. I love natural looks! Blog award for you Penelope! http://natikiru.blogspot.com/2011/07/beach-at-mara-park-chimney-charcoal.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  11. more tutorials please! :D you look gorgeous dear! it looks so natural yet so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, definitely more tutorials! :) I loved this

    ReplyDelete
  13. SOO PRETTY...I AGREED more tutorial please..you look really pretty and i love Song Hye Kyo, she always looks soo natural and pretty..
    Mi_Mi
    x
    mi-miworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, great tutorial,
    it looks very simple..
    i will try this one

    ReplyDelete
  15. My skin only breathes at home! Once I go out, I'll most certainly use foundations etc. But I'm really intrigued by the natural skin look, I shall try to apply it only to areas that need it. Lovely FOTD as usual and your tutorial is really helpful =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your eyes are so pretty! Love how everything looks so pulled together and yet so natural

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look great....! Very natural looking indeed. It's like you enhanced your features with just a little makeup ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. you look pretty! and hey there's nothing wrong being inspired by celebrities' looks or even trying to look like them once in a while :D it's always fun to dress up and play pretend sometimes <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE the natural tutorial! You're beautiful as always!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i like your tutorial. i opt for natural look for work as well. you're so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  21. Talk about natural beauty! this is my kind of makeup XD I was just reading all your steps.. and those are the things I would probably do myself everyday for work - i skip eyeliner though because I have oily lids. You look beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the tutorial. Your eyes are very gorgeous too. I prefer natural beauty over tons of makeup when I go to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have such amazing eyes! So jealous ;P

    ReplyDelete
  24. your sooo pretty! i love this natural look, its simple yet beautiful! by the way im your new follower and i enjoy reading it! you can visit my blog too :) http://neelai14.blogspot.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW i think the look is great~~~very natural and oh so wearable during the day time


    Jessy
    threenothing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. How beautiful your blog! I spent, and I liked. Come honor my blog. Follow me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aw you're so pretty. Omgosh your double eyelids are.. so large :O I'm so jealous hahah. I need eyelid tape to make mine like that or something ><

    Great first tutorial! Hope there are many more to come? eh? :D

    Love,
    mimi

    P.S. $25 giveaway to Apothica (an online cosmetics boutique) on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. aigooo~ i really love you eyes :)) .. did you use a contact lens ? ..

    buildtheface.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks girls for the compliments.
    @Vicky yet I was wearing a pair of brown circle lens in this tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  30. aaah .. that's so pretty may i know the brand and the series is ?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Friends,

    You have provided a very good site about natural looking makeup. Natural look is always considered to be the best in augmenting the beauty of a woman. A woman feels very fresh when she has a natural look of the skin. Thanks a lot for sharing with us...

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful and Great information for us. Thank you and Best Luck for the upcoming update. See More

    ReplyDelete