Saturday, December 18, 2010

Book of the Month: The Last Duchess

Hi everyone, hope you enjoyed his review. Now, back to me. My book of the month for Novermber is The last Duchess by Daisy Goodwin.


I absolutely loved this novel. The book was set in the 1890's and is loosely based on the American heiress, Consuelo Venderbilt who married the 10th Duke of Malborough. I love reading fiction from this time period and am fascinated about the lives of socialites/debutantes in this era aswell as their fashion and stately homes.

So as you might have gathered, the book is about an American heiress who marries an English Duke. The aristocracy in Britain were suffering from declining incomes aswell as the new inhertance tax, and therefore found it extremely difficult to maintain and keep their stately homes. Meanwhile, in the US, vast fortunes were being made. American heiresses would make their way to Europe to obtain titles and other things the Old World had to offer.

It was not so much the plot that made me love the book, but the detail and historical accuracy that went into this novel. I truly felt like I was drawn into that era, and through reading, could experience a little of what it was like to be a debutante during that time. The book is filled with interesting characters, some carrying with them dark secrets. I found the book a very good read, and I was hooked after a couple of pages. After I finished the book, I was still thinking about it alot and wished the author has a similar book on sale.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a good read. I lovee Victorian era books. P&P is one of my favorites, though you've probably already read the book and seen the movie by now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is right up my street! I think it might be another last minute addition to my Christmas wishlist! :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete